Tuesday, October 18, 2011

It Begins

"The Journey" has officially begun! (The internship I'm doing through Orphan Relief and Rescue). After a commissioning at Lake Burien Presbyterian Church in the morning, whom we're partnering with, we had our first meeting ever, Sunday evening. It was mostly just orientation, and signing of a lot of paper work, but we also had a mini-worship time, and a brief talk. All I remember from the talk was; "Love God, Love others; start with those around you." Hence, that's what we're hoping to do. All of us interns, or "advocates" rather, are required to work part-time and volunteer part-time within the community. For me that is working at Emerald City Smoothie, and helping out with the church's after school program. I'll also be helping out with corporate projects that our group acquires - like yard work for other members in the church. I may also pick up some other volunteer positions, like working in Seattle with Union Gospel Mission...but I want to serve wholeheartedly - so I won't overbook myself just yet! "Remix" is what the after school program is called, and tomorrow is my first day. I'll be helping set up for the dinner, and then joining the families for eating. :) On other days, I'll be helping the kids with their homework, and possibly with crafts or bible classes. I'm very excited for all of it, and very excited to get to know the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment